ag⋅gre⋅ga⋅tion
[ag-ri-gey-shuhn]
1. a group or mass of distinct or varied things, persons, etc.: an aggregation of complainants.
2. collection into an unorganized whole.

I decided to aggregate my rants, comments, favorite post and all those other items into a simple blog.

Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

If Your Gonna Be Unprofessional, At Least Do It Right!

     I normally don't do venting on my blog unless something really yanks my chain. Especially when it come back to haunt me. However in this case I figure I can rant in a way that the party remains unnamed.

     3 months ago I applied for a job at A social service agency in New England. This agency I've had known for a while through various people and were voted one of the top in the state to work for. So I applied through their website. It was "cold" application meaning just like handing your application to a manager at McDonald's maybe they'll look at it and maybe they won't. Maybe they'll have a position open for you maybe they won't .These cold applications are my least favorites. As a Job Coach for two years I know there is perhaps a 30% chance they'll call you back unless you really have a stellar resume that fits their needs.
     Boy, was I excited when within two days they contacted me to set up an interview. We exchange a few email and seemed like they had two positions open, Either one I'm well qualified for.  I was gonna be in town for the week so it worked out perfect. Having their own agency sign language interpreter! BONUS! So we set up for Tuesday morning. A week before the scheduled date the HR rep who I'll name Becky e-mails me to say, "our interpreter would not be available so I will contact our community interpreters and try to schedule again. I informed her I was available any time that week. She said she would let me know that night. A day goes by and no response. So Thursday comes and I email her asking her to forgo the interpreters and try just meeting one on one since I'm proficient in lipreading. No response.
     A week passes. I email her again to tell her I was still interested and that perhaps we could do a phone interview. No response.

Today! I received an email from Becky 2 whole months later..  I'm sorry for the delay our needs had changed at the time we were emailing and we currently have nothing available.

I kind of wished they had not responded. That they did not want me at all, I would not be sitting here typing this, instead spending my time doing something meaningful such as finishing my taxes.

If this "Becky" should read this, please use it as a learning tool!

Now, Readers. how would you handle a situation like this.
A) let it be,
B) contact the supervisor and log a complaint
C) write back and thank her for responding however withdraw your application.

Enjoy,

Joey

2 comments:

  1. Dang, that's unfortunate! It must have been awful to have your hopes up, then not know what was going on, and then be let down terribly. I'm so sorry you went through that.
    I don't think contacting the supervisor would do anything, but at least he/she would be aware of how things are being handled poorly. It couldn't hurt.

    Good Luck,

    (e

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha you know what I want to say...

    ReplyDelete